Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Love

Most of you know that I'm tennis-obsessed and don't really go far without my racquet.  It travels with me wherever I go - Mexico, Hawaii, Vancouver etc.  During one of my visits to Vancouver, I still remember how awesome it was to take lessons from Helen Kelesi at a tennis club where she was working.   At the time when I spoke to her, I didn't know who she was and I asked her for her credentials before taking a lesson.  She told me she played on tour in the 80s against players such as Sabatini and Fernandez, and even made it to the quarter-finals in the French Open in 1988.   Was I ever embarrassed!

Since moving back to Vancouver, I have been in search of a tennis club and trying to meet people to play tennis with.  First off, I contacted Tennis BC to enquire about volunteer opportunities.  They were quick to respond and by the first weekend after meeting them, I was helping out at the Jr. Provincial Tournament at the Vancouver Lawn.  I also made some great contacts at Tennis BC and they provided a lot of resources to help me out.  I was even told that there may be some marketing opportunities to help promote the Stanley Park Tennis Club.  Awesome!!

Just recently, I contacted the Burnaby Tennis Club which (I was told) is the closest club by my house.  It was difficult trying to obtain any information about leagues or programs as everyone I talked to behind the desk gave me different information.  I did eventually speak to the league director and she gave me all sorts of names and numbers to contact.  Hallelujah!  Everyone I talked to was friendly and willing to contact me for games.  I even tried out for the league this past weekend and received an email from the captain I made the team.  YAY!!

Okay, back to the games in Indian Wells on TV.  GO RAONIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment